Sunday, July 26, 2015

Almost Father Post--Wounded Vets

I read this VERY articulate article over at Almost a Father and I couldn't help but share it. I was moved by the post, I have a special place in my heart for veterans. I'm a former military brat...although, do you ever stop being a military brat?

With both parents having served and current friends in family who are serving, it's infuriating to see that they are not getting all the help they need, let alone deserve. 

I wanted to share the line that informed me...well educated me a little more on the IVF process, as well move me.

"There is a misconception that embryos are ‘implanted’ when an IVF procedure is performed. I believe the use of this word by pro-life anti-IVF policy makers is intentional—to give the impression doctors knowingly put in too many or too few embryos to create an abundance of embryos for some ulterior motive.
Infertility patients would be overjoyed if embryos could actually be ‘implanted’. However, that process happens, nature permitting in about 50% of IVF cycles, assuming you have the resources to go to one of the top clinics in the country. Embyros are TRANSFERRED—meaning that they don’t actually become viable, growing life until they implant, if they implant. If they don’t, they are absorbed into a woman’s womb, just like they are with women who don’t undergo infertility treatments.
The infertility community, and especially wounded veterans rendered infertile by injuries sustained in the line of duty, don’t deserve to be dragged into the pro-life/pro-choice debate. Couples who seek the help of assisted reproduction are interested in one outcome: a healthy, full term baby." ~Denny Ceiyzk

It reminded me of a quote I saw...

"I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking. If all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed and why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is." ~ Sister Joan Chittister: 


I guess I might just be finding my advocacy voice...through other people...
XO,
C

No comments:

Post a Comment