Friday, July 10, 2015

Movies, Shows, The Bible, and other books

When C & I first started this journey, it seemed to me that we were incredibly isolated. There were no other couples struggling like we were. We knew, no couples or families, that took them forever to have children.

Which is a total lie, my aunt struggled. But we don't live close and at the time, it wasn't something we were willing to talk about yet. We hadn't been to the doctors, yet, and all I knew was I felt exahusted and abandoned. I sought out books and movies that could bring some sense to what I was feeling. It all helped me feel less alone.

Here is my list of movies and books helped me feel less alone.

Movies/TV:
Facing the Giants
Up
The Odd Life of Timothy Green



The Longest Ride
Julie and Julia (It was only a very small part in the movie, she cried when her sister announced her pregnancy)
Even the Avengers had a small moment.
That episode of F.r.i.e.n.d.s...with Chandler and Monica
I would be amiss if I didn't mention Charollte and Harry's Struggles on SATC
Did you hear about the Morgans? There was a bit in the movie as well that went laregly undecetted.
Juno
How I Met Your Mother (Robin's storyline- the last season)

I'm sure there are more out there but my favorite movie by far was absolutely, well a tie anyway, was The Odd Life of Timothy Green and The Longest Ride. If you're in need of a good cry and a little bit of a hopeful story, these two movies are perfect for that.

Books: I've only read one book so far that even remotely had a good theme to it. It's about a couple who are just struggling in general and after an accident...maybe a gunshot...it's been awhile since I've read it, but it left her unable to have children. It's a great story of this couple coming together and how life is for them after this tragic event.
Lover's Knot by Emilie Richards

Maybe Baby sounds like a good read, I will put this on my Barnes and Noble Wish List
The Longest Ride, is sitting on Nook waiting to be read. It's nothing like the movie, but I'm hoping just as good...I'm not a HUGE fan of Nicholas Sparks as I can usually guess how the book will end with 90% of his books, but I'm looking forward to this read none-the-less.

Women in the Bible:



But let's REALLY not forget the women in the bible who struggled with infertility. With Great Expectation writes a great post on this. I don't know that I can do justice to these stories quite like Logan did.

The Purpsoeful Mom has a great post of finding hope with these stories in the bible as well. I've her #1 " in the Bible, infertility is not uniquely associated with unconfessed sin in our lives.
Rather, infertility is most often associated with displaying the glory of God.
A dear friend once brought to my attention the account of Zacharias and Elizabeth. In their old age, this barren couple was chosen to be the miracle-parents of John the Baptist. Look and see what truth God conveys here in Luke 1:6-7: “[Zacharias and Elizabeth] were both righteous in the sight of God, walking blamelessly in all the commandments and requirements of the Lord. But they had no child, because Elizabeth was barren, and they were both advanced in years.”
Elizabeth was righteous in God’s sight. She was blameless. And she wasbarren.
If God is convicting you of personal sin, then confess it to Him. But do not fall for the guilt-trap that your barrenness is because you’re not good enough to have a child, or that you just need to try harder to please and impress God, or that God has forgotten you and doesn’t care about you. He cares for you (1 Peter 5:7), and this path He has chosen for you is about Him, and it’s about His glory."
Those words were a comfort to me. 
I've always loved the story of Hagar, espeically since C & I are choosing to use a donor. God blessed Hagar and her son. He did not forget about her, especially her son, making him a man of many nations. {Genesis 21} 
As someone who is going the donor route, this story brings me hope that we will not be forgotten to be left wandering the wilderness. God will hear our cries. 
I would love to hear your favorite books or movies that speak to you. Especially books! I do enough tv watching. Which story in the bible speaks most to you?
XO,
C

2 comments:

  1. We too watched Longest Ride recently (I'm a sucker for Nicholas Sparks movies) and we found it interesting that they dealt with infertility. I hadn't remembered that part in the book!

    There are so many stories in the bible - of course one of my faves is Sarah + Abraham

    You are not alone! God has GOOD plans for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're amazing, thank you for commenting. Huh, wonder if they'll talk about less in the book, loved it in the movie though. Plan it buy it when it comes out on Tuesday!

      Delete